A Brief History Hupp ToyotaLift
and Hupp Electric Motors...
William Hupp established the Electric Motors Company back in 1912 to provide wiring in local grain mills and elevators. His son Julian took over the business in 1938 and changed the focus to the sale and repair of electric motors, controls, and power tools.
In 1963, the name ‘Hupp Electric Motors’ was adopted. During the winter of 1968, construction started on the building at the present location next to the proposed Interstate 380.
In 1971, Julian’s son Bob purchased the business and, working with Executive Vice President Chuck Engler, decided to concentrate the company’s attention on the sale and service of electrical equipment to industrial accounts. The commitment was made to stand behind every product and service the company sold, 24 hours a day, every day of the year.
In 1982 the company purchased Power Lift, Inc., (later renamed Hupp ToyotaLift), a Quad Cities based Toyota Forklift dealer. Bob’s son Kevin became the manager of the Quad Cities operations. Kevin, as President of Hupp ToyotaLift, later moved the headquarters to Cedar Rapids. Hupp ToyotaLift, with Chad Faidley as Corporate Operations Manager and John Roan as Vice President of Sales, now has branches in Ankeny, Davenport, and Waterloo, Iowa, and Peoria, Illinois. They are the exclusive Toyota Industrial Equipment dealer for most of Iowa and 26 counties in Illinois.
Kevin, who has purchased both companies, is the corporate President and Chuck Rutledge is Executive Vice President. Terry Dolezal is Vice President and manages the Engineered Products division.